Travesing back up 'tree'

Hello,

I have an XML document with the following format:

<output>
     <tableColumnlist>
        <tablecolumns 'some attributes'>
     </tableColumnlist>
  <group>
     <row 'some attributes>
          <cell>
          <cell>
          <cell>
          <cell>
     </row>

several rows and cells repeating.

I use a couple of for-eachs in XSL to traverse into the cell items to
extract the data at that level.   Before printing out the data at the cells
level I need to use an <xsl:when test against an attribute at the
tablecolumns level.  How do I get back to that level now that I'm dealing
with cells data??

Thanks