This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Xconq project.
Re: Family tree of xconq
- From: Stan Shebs <shebs at apple dot com>
- To: vejeta at gmail dot com
- Cc: xconq7 at sourceware dot org
- Date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 09:38:57 -0700
- Subject: Re: Family tree of xconq
- References: <courier.451DC351.firstname.lastname@example.org>
I wonder if xconq was inspired by conquer in his ideas, or name, or
just directly by Empire itself.
Directly by Walter Bright's version - U. Utah had bought a VAX 11/750,
came preinstalled with VMS, including some games. I got hooked on Empire,
and played it a lot in the month or two before they got around to installing
Unix on the machine. The following year I started thinking about writing
of it that ran on Unix, as a break from the rigors of grad school. The X
inspired by a snippy remark from a fellow grad student who saw the curses
version and was unimpressed...