Re: [Xconq-general] Re: New Xconq Prerelease

Andreas Bringedal wrote:

After looking closely I did find the windows version but what I was hoping for was was a download page that were very easy to understand.

If it instead had been like this:
Xconq 7.5  game files
Windows version
Mac version
Xxx version

Well, I could split the 'xconq' package section into new 'xconq-windows', 'xconq-rpms', and 'xconq-sources' package sections when I do another release. This is more work for me, because I would have to create 3 file releases instead of just 1. Also, Sourceforge appears to sort package sections alphabetically, so your 'xconq-windows' package section would not appear until near the end of all the "gobbles". Right now, your Windows download appears at the _top_ above all the other files; all that a Windows illiterate must do is see the "SETUP.exe". How hard is that?

But, I agree that the download screen looks cluttered. Blame Sourceforge; don't blame me. Why don't you submit a feature request to the Sourceforge people?
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=add&group_id=1&atid=350001
Choose "Project: File Release System" from the "Category" menu on that page.

Just tell the Sourceforge people that you would like a big button on the File Release System downloads page that says "Simple View". And, if someone clicks on the "Simple View" button, it will display something in the following format (with lots of white space and bigger letters):

  package-section-name
     file-release-name
        file1-name            (Size = 1.6MB)   (32-bit Windows Program)
        file2-name            (Size = 1.6MB)   (Source RPM)
        file3-name            (Size = 1.5MB)   (Gzipped Source)

I would suggest that you write "Simplified Downloads View" for the "Summary" text field on their feature request page. You can put your description (like the one I just gave you) in the "Detailed Description" text field. As a technical note, you might also want to tell them that you would like your view preference to be stored in a cookie, so that it is remembered next time you visit to download a new file. When you are finished filling in the "Detailed Description", just click the "SUBMIT" button at the bottom of the page.