Re: GIS Tutorial Online

sales@gencom.us wrote:

Quoting mskala@ansuz.sooke.bc.ca:

I'd much rather be able to define images per-hex instead
of per-terrain-type; that seems like it would serve the same goal and be
much nicer.

To me this makes sense. This would mean that map attributes are defined in a
uniform array per tile. The _tile_ is the object. It then carries with it a
number of attributes such as terrain type, elevation, climate, etc.

An individual hex only has certain attributes that can be associated with. Among them, terrain type and elevation. As it stands now, images are only associated with terrain types, and not directly with hexes. An hex acquires an image via its terrain type. As far as other attributes such as climate, terrain ruggedness, vegetation, etc... go, you must find some way of artificially simulating those attributes. I suggested one way (creating defined groupings in the game definition file), and Lincoln suggested another (using coatings as sort of customizable "attribute layers").

It should be noted that Xconq has the concept of layers, which were mentioned in a references I sent you a while back ago. Layers track things such as terrain, winds, coatings, connectors, borders, land or sea, etc.... One can argue about what a Xconq map hex is, but one way to look at it is something that has a coordinate position and has "depth" into one or more layers. All hexes have depth into the terrain layer, as this tracks terrain type and how is an hex is able to "know" what it looks like.

Does this mean major changes to the Xconq code, Eric? Would we have to change
the Xconq kernel or could we get away with doing this on the module side?

I have made no attempt to quantify how much work will be involved. In the reply I sent you last night (to your "cstevens" address and not the "sales" address), I outlined some of the areas you will probably want to look at. I think it is reasonable to assume that you will have at least some coding that needs to be done in the kernel and the user interfaces.

It would be really nice, too, if that one file could be just the direct
image (possibly scaled to size), and then XConq smart enough to clip out
hexagonal chunks in the right places.  That would mean changing the
read-from-image code to use a hex grid corresponding to the map instead of
the current square grid, but it would mean eliminating an especially nasty
cut-and-rearrange step in creating the file.

I agree. This way if Eligah wanted to create his "Lord of the Rings" map, he could simply do so starting with a Middle Earth map

If people want to try doing things this way, it could probably be done by creating two new layers (x-pixel-coords and y-pixel-coords), which would contain the pixel coords within the map image that are associated with each hex. Then, instead of indirectly accessing an hex image through terrain type, it would be pulled from this layer instead. I haven't thought through the details; _just throwing out an idea....