Re: Table Request: Accident-Occupant-Effect

On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, Elijah Meeks wrote:

> (unit college-student (auto-upgrade-to dropout)
> (auto-upgrade-to wageslave) (auto-upgrade-to
> engineer))

The way Xconq parses things is such that the final value of the
'auto-upgrade-to' property would be 'engineer', as the other
previously assigned values would be clobbered.

I did consider making 'auto-upgrade-to' a table rather than an
unit property when I was first implementing that stuff. But, I
opted for a property so that there would be no ambiguities. If it
was a table, then there would be the possibility of multiple
auto-upgrade paths, and if certain material and size conditions
were fulfilled simultaneously, then how would the code be able to
tell which upgrade path to take? Since the auto-upgrade code is
kernel-level, it cannot (should not) make subjective decisions,
and so I thought it better to restrict auto-upgrade paths to be
completely predetermined.

> Though the example's meant to be funny (dropout is
> probably a wreck-type),

:-)

> Sure, sounds great, but before you leave...

Uh oh. At least your message didn't end in "and, and, and...".