Re: Changing the Standard Game

On Thu, 2004-09-02 at 23:10, Elijah Meeks wrote:
> For most of the people who pop on here
> and post once or twice, this game IS XConq

A better interface (specifically a better "Welcome" screen) might make
it clearer to most players that Xconq is not just one game (important
for those who enjoy strategy games that are based on something other
than World War II).  I can envision a "Welcome" screen that looks like
the following (which, as usual, I designed with Glade without having to
write any code):

http://homepage.mac.com/lmpeters/welcome1.png
http://homepage.mac.com/lmpeters/welcome2.png
http://homepage.mac.com/lmpeters/welcome3.png
http://homepage.mac.com/lmpeters/welcome4.png
http://homepage.mac.com/lmpeters/welcome5.png
http://homepage.mac.com/lmpeters/welcome6.png

What I did here was use a GNOME "Druid" to produce a setup window with
multiple pages (known to Windows users as a "Wizard"), much like the
existing "Welcome" screen for the TclTk interface but with a layout that
(I think) is more visually appealing.

Furthermore, as soon as you click "Apply", you could theoretically jump
to the existing SDL interface and thus leave behind anything that even
remotely resembles an Office app.

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln@sbcglobal.net>

Your good nature will bring you unbounded happiness.