Re: Sound Support

Elijah Meeks wrote:

I know the Mac can play sounds, any chance of the SDL
/ TCLTK version being able to in the near future?

I've been thinking about it wrt the SDL interface. SDL does have built-in sound support. The question is getting the sounds into the right format. It is certainly somewhere on my agenda.

Is the new Windows SDL interface working okay for you? I tested with Opal and didn't have any problems.

The two things that are most pressing on my SDL agenda as of right now:
(1) Add support for modal dialog windows. This is particularly crucial for yes/no/cancel type things. Right now, if you type "Q" in the Windows interface, you have no indication that the SDL interface is asking you if you want to save the game before you quit, even though it is. If you type "y" in answer to the hidden question, the game will quit. Since this is not at all obvious, it would be nice to provide some sort of visual indicator. I think I will probably use graphical buttons for "Yes", "No", and "Cancel"; that way I can set them up to be customized on a per-game basis later on.
(2) Add a log panel so that users can have written feedback. Under Linux, an user can see log messages in the terminal window, but under Windows there is no visible terminal window, and so I need to make sure that the messages go somewhere where the user can see them. And, as Lincoln pointed out, it is annoying to keep switching between windows to see the output.