Re: Regarding gameplay

----- Original Message -----
From: <tsbvc@tds.net>
To: <xconq7@sources.redhat.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 7:54 PM
Subject: Regarding gameplay

> I've read the mailing list archives occasionally for a few months but only
subscribed just now.  Most of the discussion here is development-related, so
I thought I'd ask everyone a couple of questions about regular gameplay.

> 1) What are some of your preferred strategies (for the standard module)?
>
> My general strategy is all-out offense, which usually succeeds against the
AI.  If I have more than a couple of any unit in my home territory, the
extras will get sent to attack.

After winning a few standard games - some of them against several AI
opponents with advantages cranked up - I'm beginning to find the 'non-human'
game a little dull.  I find that I am almost guaranteed to win if I build
dozens of bombers and send them out in wave after wave; and a couple of
battleships on the enemy shore can simply flatten city after city.  I spend
a lot of time setting up defenses for my cities, but the land invasion never
comes, and the AI never seems to try a concerted bomber/battleship attack
which might make the game interesting.

> As for more specific tactics, I use airdropped infantry to build at least
one base per unoccupied island so that I can send planes across the globe
without having to complete a carrier.  If I come across a one or two-hex
island consisting of swamp, and there is absolutely no other land nearby, I
might build a base there and deliver supplies via destroyers or troop
transports.

> 2) Do you play any semi-regular net games?
>
> I don't know anyone else who plays xconq, and my attempts to get a few
friends hooked on it proved futile.  From what I read on the list, the
network code is pretty stable now.  Are there any regular internet players
out there?

I don't, but I wish I did.  It would be much more fun to play against a real
player.

Robert.