Re: Item Units

Elijah Meeks wrote:

It seems like the
framework's in place for items, just add a fifth entry
to the ferry-on-entry/departure tables that's "Full"
(Or something similar).  I'd thought, when I first
worked with items as occupants, that "over-all"
would've worked, but it didn't.  "Full" would mean
that the transport paid all necessary ACP costs for
the occupant to move into the hex and load onto the
unit.

I think one problem with cow patties is that ideally one would like them to be actionless, and hence they could not be selected as active units. So, having a transport offer to pay for everything would not do much good for items that cannot even be selected as actors.

A dedicated pickup/get command like most good dungeon games have would be nice.

Another possibility would be to get Xconq's control range stuff working (if it's not already; I haven't experimented with it, but there does appear to be some support for it in the code). Then set the control range of regular units to be something like 1 or 2 cells for item units. Thus the item units would only be able to act (i.e., move) in the presence of a regular unit.

The AI, of course, would likely not get that these
units were useful, and would probably pick them up and
drop them at random.

One thing that I have tried before, but with only partial success, was to set the 'ai-peace-garrison' of mobile transports, such as carriers, close to their occupancy max, and then set the 'ai-war-garrison' to 0.

In the case of item units, I would guess that both garrisons should be at the occupancy max to encourage the AI to retain the items at all times.

I'd like to introduce three item types in Opal: Weapon, Armor and Gear.

I'm looking at Weapons and Armor for Wreckreation. Armor could already be done since the 'protection' (should really be called 'vulnerability') table already exists.

So far, so good (Heck, only six new
units, I'll never reach 1000 like this).

Yeah, no kidding. And I thought it was 10000 in order to win the magic donut.

But we've
all seen how a unit looks with three occupants,
especially when it occupies a cell with another unit
or two.  Without an occupant dialog box, it'd just be
too cluttered.

IIRC, you suggested this when we were disucssing options for Cast Iron Life last year. I think it is a good idea. I have been quite tempted to try implementing it in the Tcl/Tk interface. I think I would improve formation selection first, before attempting that, since the improved formation selection stuff is likely easier.

Building each magic sword by hand is also a pain. So
I'd love to see initial-occupant and
occupant-when-created tables that call for,

Yeah, the 'initial-occupant' idea has been at the back of my mind as well, and out of the same needs that you mention. It seems that you thought about it more than me though, since I didn't think of the randomness aspect.

Hans just recently implemented part of another idea I had: units under construction being tougher than 1 HP. Had I implemented it, I would have redirected damage to CP instead of HP, and set up a HP-to-CP conversion ratio table. However, since he implemented it with a static HP value; I may still have the opportunity to do something more dynamic (scalable) like I had originally intended. The two solutions can probably exist side by side (though mutuall exclusive), if done right.

Tablewise, occupant-adds-hit-chance/fire-hit-chance,
occupant-adds-acp, occupant-adds-damage and
occupant-adds-hp would be a great start.

You've already got 'occupant-adds-acp' and 'occupant-multiplies-acp'. I added those a while back ago. I think there is a fairly good chance that I will want to add 'occupant-adds-hit-chance', 'occupant-adds-fire-hit-chance', and 'occupant-adds-damage', and their multiplicative counterparts. I hadn't thought of the HP one.

And neural nets, and 3D units, and a fully 3D globe,
and XBox support, and and and...

That "and and..." is becoming a trademark of yours. :-)

Thanks for the thoughts. I hope to address at least some of them in the next month or so, but knowing how I always get sidetracked, I should stop quoting timelines.