Re: Weird fuel behavior

> If you ctrl-click on a unit, it brings up a small closeup (floating window)
> where you can examine its plans etc. Basically the same information as in
> the unit info pane.

So you could open these for a few units and keep them open and they'd
get updated as the game proceeds?  If so, that sounds like the key
advantage - watching them change, rather than just getting a static
view of a unit.  The target audience for this feature is people who
don't understand how game events are affecting their units.  (This
includes game designers, kernel debuggers, etc, not just newbie
players).  That's why I proposed something which was more explicitly
about change and action than about unit state.  But having a unit
state window that you can see change might not be such a bad way of
getting at change (xconq could even boldface numbers which are changed
recently or something).

> The only thing that has held me off so far is the poor support for
> floating windows in tcltk. It took a lot of work to get the research
> popup window to behave the way it does, and it is still inferior to a
> real floating window.

Well, I understand the reluctance.  I think maybe the research window
has been improved since the last time I played a game which has
research, but I remember quirks (like not bringing it to the front
when desired or something, I don't really remember fully and some of
them might be related to how research interacts with turns and
movement, not just the floating-ness of the window as such).

In SDL, I assume we'd get to write our own window code (or use one of
the many libraries out there which are designed to go on top of SDL).
I don't know whether that is better or worse than having (possibly
buggy or quirky) floating windows provided for us.