Selecting plans?

I've only just started playing xconq in the last couple of days - I'm mainly using the latest binary of the native OSX port. I've also installed the Windows version on a PC, and I noticed a difference in the gameplay (of the standard game). In the OSX version, you are able to select a plan for any unit. In the Windows version (and, as I just tested, with the Mac TCL binary) the 'Plan' item in the menu is always grayed out. Am I missing something that I need to do to set the plan in the non-Carbon version?

Thanks,
Robert.

--
Robert Goulding
Program in History and Philosophy of Science