Re: Overwatch and Counterbattery?

>Does Xconq have any support for fire-protection?
>Specifically, I'm thinking of two forms, the one being
>firing upon a unit that comes within range, which as I
>understand it is called Overwatch in the various
>turn-based games I've played.

In a way, yes. The u_ai_tactical_range variable controls within what range
a given unit type will take notice of an enemy unit. If you have a unit
that can fire and set the range to 12 it will fire on any enemy unit that
it can hit which comes within 12 cells.

The other would be
>firing on a unit after that unit has fired, which is
>basically Counterbattery fire.  The latter has
>something to do with being made aware of a unit, but I
>think for Xconq purposes, setting a table such as
>uu-protection-fire-chance which would define the
>percent chance that u1 will fire on u2 if u2 fires and
>is in range.

There is automatic counterattack and countercapture after every attempt to
hit or capture, which is determined by the uu_counterattack and
uu_countercapture tables. I don't think there is anything similar for the
firing code. I'm not sure why. Perhaps it was thought that this automatic
hit back was something that should happen only at close quarters.