7.4.1 performance problems w/Mandrake 10

    Since moving to Mandrake 10 (from 9.2), I'm seeing weird performance
issues from Xconq 7.4.1 (installed from an ancient RPM originally from
sourceware.cygnus.com).

    In summary the UI has become extremely sluggish, response to typing
takes significantly longer to show up, and when I switch modes ('z'),
there's no visual evidence of that in the map display until I close and
reopen the game window. It's suggestive of faulty focus issues but seems
to be consistent across several WMs (Window Maker, Fvwm).

    Could this be related to the Mandrake switch from Tcl/Tk 8.3 -> 8.4?
I spoofed rpm (put in 8.3 -> 8.4 library symlinks and used --nodeps) to
get this old RPM to install, so maybe something in Tk changed between
8.3 and 8.4 that could be affecting the UI?

    I'll rebuild from source if necessary, but am hoping there's some
simple X/Tk/RPM tweak that will solve this.

    Thanks,

    Jon Leech (yes, the reply address in the headers works - it's a
surprisingly helpful measure against email address harvesters).