Re: AI now goes after bases

>(2) As a corollary, if a bug is discovered in mplayer.c, then the
>fix must be done not only in mplayer.c, but also iplayer.c and
>megaplayer.c, provided that they still have the affected code in
>common with mplayer.c.

Absolutely. We have already been down that path. We used to have another
copy of the mplayer, the oplayer (old mplayer). The idea was to update it
less frequently than the mplayer, but let it have all bug fixes. I finally
got fed up with checking in each bug fix twice (or even thrice counting the
iplayer) and threw out the oplayer.

>> Agreed. Axcept I think ai_go_after_victim should stay where it is is ai.c.
>
>That is fine with me, as long as we are then saying that ai.c is
>in some sense "coequal" to plan.c and task.c, and not a layer
>above them. The "layer above" mentality is what was driving me to
>argue for the taxonomy that I did....

What I'm after is not organizing things in layers as much as physical
separation of ai code from code used by all players. Ideally, I would like
to have a bunch of files that we could put in a separate ai folder because
they contain *only* ai code. This would include the mplayer, ai.c  but not
task.c. plan.c is in between. Right now, only ai players use plans, but I
have considered a semiautomatic mode where a human player would set a
unit's plan and then let the low level ai code run it. This has been
discussed several times on the list, so I wont repeat myself.