Re: fighters fighting without ammo

>On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 11:40:12PM -0500, Eric McDonald wrote:
>Hi Eric
>> Ammo can represent different things to different targets, and
>> Xconq can actually deal with this via the 'hit-by' table. In fact,
>  ah true true, forgot that one indeed!
>
>> I think we still have quite a ways to go before we reach that
>> stage, but I certainly look forward to that day. The AI is
>> certainly my highest priority in the post-7.5 landscape.
>that would be way cool :D

The main problem with the mplayer is that it focuses on territory
(theaters) rather than on enemy units. I think an AI that goes for the
jugular, i.e. attacks all enemy units within sight would be much meaner.
One easy way to achieve this is to extend the default unit tactical-range,
which is where the action-reaction code takes over. Right now it is set to
4 cells, which means that the AI will attack anything that comes within 4
cells of one of its units. This could easily be changed to 20 cells, for
example. I think there would be a negative effect on performance, but I
haven't tested this rigourously.