Re: Cannot do anything in water

On Mon, 2003-12-08 at 11:39, Hans Ronne wrote:
> >> I was trying to work on my new game module, and now I've found that, if
> >> I try to make a unit move into a water cell (and it can enter water
> >> cells), it expends 1 ACP but does not go anywhere!
> >
> >Probably the same bug as
> >http://sources.redhat.com/ml/xconq7/2003/msg00960.html

It does look similar, although I don't think that I ever saw it happen
to land units as they moved across land (and my new game does not
contain air units).

> >> Could it be a bug in the new pathfinding algorithm?
>
> Maybe. But not the construction problem since it does not involve
> path-finding. If both are manifestations of the same bug, I would rather
> suspect the terrain occupancy code.

If that code could prevent movement while still causing a unit to
consume ACP, I imagine that it might be the source of the problem.

> OTOH, The construction bug sounds more like an undefined action being
> allowed following an illegal click. The program should just beep instead
> and refuse to do anything if you click in the wrong cell.

That's not what I've observed.  I've often found that if the cell I tell
it to build in is illegal (e.g. try to build a city in the water), but
it can build in a nearby legal cell without moving (the cell is within
its create-range), it will build in that alternate location instead.
And it never asks if that is what I want to do.

Although I suppose that there could be two bugs at work here...

Lincoln Peters <sampln@sbcglobal.net>