Re: Xconq language thoughts

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

Stan Shebs

For instance, there has long been an ability to write
AIs customized
for a particular game design, but so far everybody has
preferred to just
sponge off the generic AI instead. (Not too surprising, since
AI writing
is hard, and there is no possible API that can help you with the hard
parts.)

Yes, writing AIs is hard. However, most AI developers probably have no desire to write AIs in GDL, they probably want to use their language of choice.

Um, the AIs I'm talking about would be in C or C++. In theory one could build
infrastructure to link in other languages at that point; the API is the same as the
networking layer, in fact the AI could be a separate program if one wanted.
(Nobody has tried to write one of those either, despite all the years I put
into rewriting the code so that it was possible.)

And, as far as difficulty of plugging AIs into an architecture
goes, the Xconq C codebase looks (ahem) less than ideal.  It is a
sprawl.  It may be a well-organized sprawl but it is still hundreds and
hundreds of C functions.  AI developers - indeed, any kind of
developers - are probably more willing to do things in OO source code
pools that take far less work.

I don't actually buy that reasoning. Programmers who are really interested are
willing to key in machine code using toggle switches if they have to; better API
and internals is for the benefit of the programmers already working on the code.
I've been tricked before by the "build it and they will come" theory; see my
remark above about the networking layer.