Rebuilding Units That Turn

Hey guys, I'm working on a Korean War game for Xconq,
modern, with Japan and China butting heads, should be
fun (There's a Spec Ops unit that can change back and
forth into a Pave Low Heli, who's only got 1HP but can
cause havoc behind the lines) and I'd like to do the
following:

For each unit type, have the base unit and also have a
Reinforced, Damaged, Heavily Damaged type.  This way,
when a corps is attacked and destroyed, it's turned
into a Damaged Corps, then when that's destroyed, it
turns into a Heavily Damaged Corps (Different names,
of course, understrength, et cetera).  While I know I
can simulate differences in combat strength based on
damage, I really think the graphical change is
important enough to warrant this kind of hack.  What
I'm wondering is, how do I set it up so that a Damaged
Corps can build a Corps and then disappear, without
signalling that the Damaged Corps is dead and
therefore a Heavily Damaged Corps needs to be spawned?

Hope that made sense.