RE: New Interpreter

>>>>> "Brandon" == Brandon J Van Every <vanevery@indiegamedesign.com> writes:
Brandon>
Brandon> Mark A. Flacy

>> http://ficl.sourceforge.net/
Brandon>

Brandon> How does it compare to Python for community support, libraries,
Brandon> available expertise, and proven real world use?  Particularly in
Brandon> game development?  Humongous Entertainment used to be an
Brandon> all-Python shop, they were doing adventure games and children's
Brandon> titles.  Ultima Online uses Python for its servers.  Outside of
Brandon> the game industry, Industrial Light and Magic uses Python heavily,
Brandon> as does the freeware 3D modeling / animation / rendering program
Brandon> Blender.  Also there are Python bindings for The Nebula Device,
Brandon> the Crystal Space engine, SDL, and the C++ Kyra layer on top of
Brandon> SDL.
Brandon>
Brandon> Finally, Python syntax is easy for novices to swallow.  Forth
Brandon> isn't; if ficl is Forth-like that's A Bad Thing for novices.

I'm familiar with both languages; in fact, I've done a lot of recent
development in Python and have found it to be an excellent scripting
language.

For a GDL replacement, I believe that FICL's worth a look.

If by "novice" you mean someone that knows only the C family of
language syntax, then perhaps you are correct.  Given the simplicity of
Forth syntax, they'd have to be pretty stupid to not pick it up in 20
minutes.

Perhaps you have a different goal for the Xconq scripting language; I'm
just looking at a gdl replacement.  If you intend to replace major portions
of the C core, then the Python's library support may be what you want.

Ah, Emacs randomly selected a useful .sig quote.  See below.

--
 Mark A. Flacy
 Any opinions expressed above are my own.  Any facts expressed above