Re: Standing Orders

Hi Alan, Lincoln, others,

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Alan Kenwright wrote:

> Lincoln Peters wrote:
>
> > 1. In bolodd, there is a "tower" unit that does not move, and it can
> see
> > and fire at any hostile units up to 8 cells away.  It can also
> > manufacture guided missiles of various kinds.

It is good that you mentioned that they are guided. Something that
Xconq does not currently have is the concept of the different
varieties of missile weapons: projectile (launched along a simple
path, unguided), guided (player guided, arbitrary target), and
seeker (computer guided, locked target).

Empire Master (which Chris Eliot is no longer developing; he is
now a CS professor) did make the distinction between guided and
unguided missiles, and I found it to be quite useful. For
example, one could define spy satellites to be projectiles with no
range restricitions.

> strategy, and secondly because the game had quite concise and precise
> rules (which are available on the net at
> http://boardgamegeek.com/viewfile.php3?fileid=3097 ).

Very interesting....

> Unfortunately my programming skills are pretty well none-existent, so
> it's not something I could undertake and I'm not asking anyone to do it
> for me.  I just offer it up because if you've never seen the game you

Thanks for suggesting it.

> missiles and a dice - which is used in the most bizarre way, but I won't
> spoil it for you)

Quite novel. :-)

> re-workings of the standard game (substituting chariots or spaceships
> for tanks, or whatever) and it would be good to see some new elements of
> play/strategy coming in.

One idea I have been toying with for awhile is a hex-based
Stratego-like game. I think I have figured out ways that most of
it could be implemented with Xconq.... Would this interest anyone?

> Alan.

Alan, I seem to remember you emailing me a couple of months ago,
and you mentioned that you were successfully running Xconq on XP.
Have you had a chance to try the installer yet, and, if so, did
that work for you?

  Regards,