RE: Standardizing the Windows build

>Hans Ronne wrote:
>>
>> In fact, the SDL Win32 libraries are now based on DirectX. So
>> we already have that in the SDL interface.
>
>Do you mean DirectDraw, which ceased development with DirectX 7, and
>doesn't do HW accelerated alpha blending?  Whoopie doo.

If you want Direct3D, it's not built-in, but I understand there are ways to
use it together with SDL. There have been some posts on the SDL developers
list about how to integrate SDL with Direct3DRM from DX9. Haven't paid much
attention to this stuff, though, so I don't know how far it will take you.

The key question here is: what would we use 3D support for, and how is it
best implemented? Xconq is a 2D program. It could be transformed into a 3D
program, and I think it's an exciting possibility. However, that if
anything would require a major rewrite of the kernel. It's not enough to
have 3D support in the interfaces, the games must also be able to do
something useful with it!

The there is the question of what kind of 3D support. I don't think we
should start a D3D-OpenGL flame thread, but the latter does have advantages
if you are dealing with a cross-platform project like Xconq. And it is
supported (also the most recent version) in SDL.