Re: HTML Documentation

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Hans Ronne wrote:

> Excellent. Does this the html version contain the same changes that you
> already checked in as texi or are there other changes as well?

Just the existing changes I made as texi. Haven't had time to do much else
lately. :-)

I will always try to check in any changed texi files before posting updated
HTML to the site.

> As for possible improvements, there are quite a few things that are either
> wrong or missing, since the manual has not been updated for several years.
> It is good that you have started to look it over for that reason. I've
> started to make a list of the most important changes in the last two years,
> as part of the README and NEWS updates. We could probably use that list
> when it is ready to find the most important stuff that needs to be updated
> in the manual as well.

This sounds good to me. After you commit the updated versions of those
files, I will look them over and try to reflect the changes in the relevant
manuals.

Aside from documentation, I am still considering some other things as well,
but am not sure whether I can take care of all of them before the 7.5
release:

(1) Add configure tests to see whether a non-root user is building
Xconq, and modify the GAMEUID and GAMEGRP variables in the Makefiles
accordingly. This would allow a make install to succeed as a non-root user
without first needing to change these variables in about 4 different
Makefiles in the source hierarchy (so that chown/chgrp can succeed).
Alternatively, --gameuid and --gamegid could be added to the configure
options.

(2) Add a create/build dialog to the Tcl/Tk interface along the lines of
the one apparently available in the Macconq interface. Perhaps have a
"Don't show this dialog again" option for those of us who would prefer to
continue using the command line for production selection.

(3) Update the RPM spec file for creating a source RPM. I started to look
into this last night, and I think this should be relatively quick and
easy to do....

(4) Change the production/inventory list of units to show all unit types
that a side can possibly own, not just the ones it starts with and can
create/build.

  Thanks,