Re: Availability of Xconq

>Something to bear in mind is that, as far as I know, every contributing
>XConq developer, myself included, has a full-time job. This somewhat
>restricts what activities we can regularly carry out on behalf of this
>"hobby" of ours.

True indeed. I intended to put complete packages for all platforms with a
pre-release xconq on the ftp site earlier this month, but two things
happened. First Eric found several segfaults that needed to be fixed. A
pre-release program should not crash on you, even if it may still have
bugs. Second, I was at a meeting, and work has accumulated in my absence.
So the answer is: yes there will be complete packages availabe soon, but it
will take a little longer than I first hoped. Still working on updating the
game modules and various READMEs.

>As far as installation goes, pre-built Xconq packages could benefit from an
>installer program. In the case of Linux, there is an RPM spec file (which
>may need to be updated) from which an RPM should be able to be constructed.
>In the case of Windows, maybe someone needs to find a free
>installer/packager program with acceptable licensing?

RPMs for less experienced Linux users who don't want to build xconq
themselves would be great. As for the Mac and Windows versions, I doubt
that we need installers. It's just a matter of unzipping (or unstuffing)
the xconq directory and launching the app, which even computer novices
should be able to do. The real problem (at least on Windows) is to install
tcltk, but the installer from ActiveState should take care of that.