RE: AI (was error handling)

T-Surf is pleased to announce its name change to Earth Decision Sciences
http://www.earthdecision.com/Events/NameChange.html

Stanley M. Sutton                sutton@earthdecision.com
AIM:          StanleyMSutton     Ext: 113
MSNMessenger: sutton@t-surf.com  Yahoo: stanley_sutton

 But if you have advances that require a colonizer or engineer to build
something indirectly you seem to get into dead ends.  Maybe an
enhancement might be to have a counter, and if a unit does the reserve
action n times in a row, it forces it to do something else, or use an
alternate selection process to assign an action or plan to it?

> >Another, probably harder, change would be to add "furtur worth"
> >calculations to the process of selecting plans.  I.e.; for
> money, if I
> >believe I can get a rate of return of 4% on an investment, then $1000
> >now is worth about the same as $1480 in 10 years.  It's been
> quite a few
> >years since my course on "rational decision making and risk
> management",
> >but from the discussion threads I've been reading on this
> list, the AI
> >was designed to make the best immediate decision, rather
> than managing
> >risk, and ignores future risk/benefit analysis entirely.
> >
> >Longer term, a GA feedback system to evaluate the unit
> values assigned
> >by the designer would be nice, and a GP system would be even more
> >desirable.  And a lot of work.  I've been taling off and on with a
> >friend that's into AI off and on about it (He's a teacher in
> CS over at
> >University of Houston).  I have too many current Xconq
> projects to work
> >on to do anything serious about it right now, but maybe I
> can work on a
> >gplayer for Xconq 8.0. :-)
>
> That would be very nice indeed. The AI is a part of xconq
> that can use a
> lot of improvements. The action-reaction code did make it
> more responsive,
> but the latter is still a hack grafted on the old mplayer. I've been
> thinking about writing a new AI from scrath myself, but
> haven't had time
> for that yet. I think the biggest problem with the mplayer is that it
> analyzes the game in a static way. The whole world is divided
> into theaters
> or AI regions, and the mplayer then focuses on clearing one
> theater after
> another from enemy units. What does not work well is
> reassignment of units
> to new theaters. It will happen eventually, but only after
> every single
> enemy unit has been cleared. So the AI fails to follow up on
> early gains by
> sustained attacks deeper into enemy territory.
>
> I think an AI that identifies attack vectors (main directions of enemy
> units) and throws all offensive units in that way would be a
> much tougher
> opponent. This is how the AI in civ seems to work.
>
> Hans

One thing I've noticed in several games is that the path determination
doesn't seem to work very well in a lot of cases.  I've seen hundreds of
units massed in the curve of a continent near an enemy when there is a
land path to the enemy that it never seems to find.  Do we use an A*
path algorithm for path determination?

And the other situation I've seen is where the AI has conquered the
entire world, except for a raft I had in an inland sea.  It had several
cities on the sea, but either didn't or couldn't build a sea going
attack craft to destroy the one remaining enemy unit on the board.  I
probably should have saved the game so I could run the debug and see why
it wouldn't desroy me, but I didn't think of it at the time.  I was just
seeing if the game seemed to still work after making come documentation
changes.