Re: More display problems with tcltk interface

On Wed, 2002-12-25 at 15:20, Hans Ronne wrote:
> >1. If a unit finds itself in a cell that has just turned from night to
> >day (or vise versa) and experiences an increase in its vision-range, any
> >unknown cells that should become visible are NOT revealed.  Oftentimes
> >the only way to find out what's there is to either move out of visual
> >range and return (before the day/night cycle changes again), or to walk
> >right into the unknown area.
>
> What game are you talking about? Cherbourg? And what do you mean by
> "experiences an increase in its vision-range"? Are you referring to the
> effect of daylight, or something else such as climbing a hill?

I'm talking about my latest project (which I can send to you, if
necessary).  Unlike Cherbourg or Gettysburg, neither world-seen nor
see-all are enabled by default; players must map out the world before
they can conquer it.  That may be why nobody discovered this day/night
bug until now.

The increase in vision-range refers to the effect that a units vision
can be affected by the day/night cycle, which Cherbourg apparently does
not use.  I think Gettysburg uses it, however.

The bug doesn't seem to effect a unit's ability to see other units; just
its ability to map unknown terrain.  If you turn off world-seen in
gettysurg.g, you should be able to reproduce the problem.

> >2. That annoying displacement effect with advanced units covering cells
> >that don't exist (i.e. are off the edge of the map) seems to occur when
> >an advanced unit is placed on the left or right edge of a cylindrical
> >map and it reaches across the edge.  It also occurs after a non-advanced
> >unit that occupies an advanced unit is selected.
>
> What do you mean by "reaches across the edge"? Is the advanced unit mobile?
> And is it actually disappearing, or are you just talking about the unit
> image being offset?

It happens on a cylindrical map when the "reach" of an advanced unit
stretches beyond the left or right edge of the map, so that it covers
cells on the other side of the map.  It's very similar (at least in
appearance) to the recently-fixed bug that caused problems when an
advanced unit's reach included non-existent (off-the-map) cells.  It has
nothing to do with mobility.  Although I don't think that any of the
games that use advanced units (except for the experimental "Colonizer")
use cylindrical maps by default.

> >3. If a connection (such as a road) is placed anywhere on the left side
> >of the map to the left of the Y-axis, it becomes distorted so that it
> >appears one cell northeast of where it actually is.
>
> What do you mean by "left of the Y-axis"? Are you referring to the dateline
> of a wrapped world, or just the central meridian?

I'm referring to the line on the coordinate plane where X=0.  I think
that it's equivalent to the dateline at a 30-degree angle, with the
lower end on the lower-left corner of the map.  On the earth-1deg map,
this area contains Alaska and the western-most part of Canada (although
this problem with connections appears to be inconsistent with hand-drawn
maps such as earth-1deg).

--
Lincoln Peters <peters2000@mindspring.com>