Makfile changes

Here's a section of the NT Makefile:

TCL = -ltcl84g

TCL_DEFS=-DHAVE_NO_SEH=1 -DEXCEPTION_DISPOSITION=int

TCL_INCLUDE_SPEC=-I/usr/local/include

TCL_CFLAGS=$(TCL_DEFS) $(TCL_INCLUDE_SPEC)

TCL_DEPS =

TCL_DL_LIBS =

# Tk stuff.

TK = -L/usr/local/lib -ltk84g

TK_CFLAGS = -I/usr/local/include

TK_DEPS =

TK_LIBS=-lgdi32 -lcomdlg32 -limm32 -lcomctl32 -lshell32

What I'd like to put in the Makefile.in is:

TCL= -ltcl@NODOT_TCL_VERSION@@DEBUG_SUFFIX@

TCL_DEFS=@TCL_DEFS@

TCL_INCLUDE_SPEC=@TCL_INCLUDE_SPEC@

TCL_cFLAGS=$(TCL_DEFS) $(TCL_INCLUDE_SPEC)

TCL_DEPS = @TCL_DEPS@

TCL_DL_LIBS= @TCL_DL_LIBS@

#TK stuff.

TK= -ltk@NODOT_TK_VERSION@@DEBUG_SUFFIX@

TK_DEFS=@TK_DEFS@

TK_CFLAGS= $(TK_DEFS) -I@TK_PREFIX@/include

TK_DEPS= @TK_DEPS@

TK_LIBS=@TK_LIBS@

All of the @...@ are defined in the tclConfig.sh or the tkConfig.sh files, based on the information provided when they're compiled. The aclocal.m4 file doesn't pass some of them along, so it needs some changes. The big problem is that autoconf is not generating a proper configure from configure.in, so changes to the aclocal.m4 file aren't being properly forwarded to configure, so it doesn't change the Makefile.in files to the correct Makefiles.

It's also complicated by some systems use @NODOT_TCL_VERSION@ for the library suffix, and some use @TCL_VERSION@ (like Solaris).

If things are modified correctly, then the tclConfig.sh and tkConfig.sh in your CygwinB20 version would work transparently with the Makefiles, so that none of that would have to be hardcodes. So I guess I'm going to start learning autoconf, and document that also.

:-) So the next time things change, it'll be a little easier for someone else to make changes.

Can a Web portal forever change your life?
Win up to $25 Million on iWon - click here!