Re: Compiling win32 under Cygwin

>I did eventually get it to build, using a fresh, out of the box install
>of cygwin.  I found that you had to link against the X11/ libs from the
>win makefile and add a parameter to the ld flags to cope with an old
>b20 bug involving an unresolved reference to WinMain.  I don't have the
>flag here (writing from work) but I can send it along if there's
>interest.

If you can put together a list of everything that needs to be fixed for the
Cygwin build, that would be useful.

>Unfortunatly, now that I have the build it won't run - it simply exits,
>without any output.  Is there a verbose or debug flag to set so I can
>get some output?

When the Windows app just exits cleanly it's usually because it cannot find
one of the dll or tcl files. Check out the file Xconq.Warnings - it will
tell you what the problem was.

Also please note that you now have to put the app in the top (xconq)
directory in order for it to find everything. This is true even if it
builds elsewhere. And the dll's should of course also go into the xconq
directory, unless they are installed where the system will find them.

>For what it's worth (I'm new here, of course) it's too bad the Cygwin
>build is going away.  It seems like it wouldn't be too much work to
>maintain it, and more people are going to have the cygwin (or at least
>ming) environment than the CW or VC envs.  Besides - it's open source,
>and that seems to be the spirit of the project.

As Jim pointed out, this is a matter of manpower. Since I rarely use Cygwin
myself, it's hard for me to maintain that interface. So if you would like
to give it a try, this would be welcome.