Re: A minor problem with the (tcltk) interface

>I have found that if a unit is both able to store lots of different
>kinds of materials (usually at least 7) and is able to tool up to build
>lots of different kinds of units, under the tcltk interface, the
>materials take up the entire lower-right section of the "Details about
>the current unit" frame and it is impossible to see the tooling
>information!  This does not seem to occur on the Mac, as the Mac does
>not display any toolup information
>
>How difficult would it be to re-write that part of the interface to use
>a more concise, graphical readout of tooling and material storage?  The
>best solution I can think of for the material read-out would be to use
>small progress bars next to the images representing the materials in
>question (or text if no image is associated with the materials.  For the
>tooling readout, I think the most concise readout would be a row of
>icons representing units that the selected unit is tooled to build,
>using opacity to represent partial tooling.  In both cases, the exact
>numbers should still be available via tooltips.
>
>I'm (still) not familiar with tcltk, so I don't know how difficult this
>would be.  Any comments?  Can anyone visualize what I'm describing?

Since this is a game-specific thing (very few games have this problem) the
best solution would probably be to make the unit info frame resizable. An
alterntive would be to implement small unit info windows that pop up when
you control-click on a unit, like on the mac, but this would mean a lot
more work. Also, the fact that you don't have floating windows in the
tctltk interface would make such popup windows less useful than on the mac.