Extraction at a distance?

I've noticed that the xxx_extraction_action routines do not check to see
if a unit is actually in the cell that the materials are extracted from.
So is it legal to extract material from terrain or independant units if
you are not at the location?  I can see the extract at a distance from
terrain, but I'm not so sure about the stack of units at a remote
location.

Also, although the code is very careful to not remove more material than
is at a location or in a unit, it will never attempt to remove less than
the amount of material it requested from the cell.  For example, say a
cell has 1 unit of food, and there are 3 independant units with 1 unit
of food each.  If the requested amount of food is 2 units, then no food
will be removed from the cell, which seems kind of strange.