Re: code in adjust_tooling_crossover?

On Wed, 2002-07-10 at 11:39, Stan Shebs wrote:
> But clearly nobody plays postmodern (the only game using tooling
> crossover), because the formula is indeed wrong.  Both of the
> tp_max tables should be functions of the unit tooling up, so
> the args should be unit->type, u3 and unit->type, u2 respectively.

Looking at postmodern, I can see another bug in the AI code.  It seems
that the good_cell_to_colonize function does not consider whether or not
the unit to be built will vanish or wreck on a tile, and so the AI will
instruct engineers to try to build cities on ocean tiles!  And, of
course, because cities cannot be built on ocean tiles, the engineers
will go into reserve and try again the next turn, repeating the cycle
until either the end of time or until someone destroys the engineers
(whichever comes first).

I could see if I can re-prototype good_cell_to_colonize so that it will
be able to receive the unit to be built as an argument (without
segfaulting, of course), and then make it consider the properties of the
unit to be built.  For now, I'll only worry about vanishes-on, but it
would also be a good idea to consider tables like wrecks-on, attrition,
accident-hit-chance, and accident-vanish-chance.  I don't think that any
of these tables except for vanishes-on are used for these kinds of units
yet (although in "fantasy" I see that serfs can suffer attrition), but
you never know when someone will want to use them.