Re: Problems and solutions for building Xconq

onsdagen den 3 juli 2002 21.07 skrev Jim Kingdon:
> > Of course I mean linux-2.4.17!
>
> That actually isn't the most relevant question.  Which kernel you have is
> unlikely to be an xconq compatibility issue.  The issue is more likely
> to be the distribution (in this case, apparently the tcl packages).
> The distribution and version might be listed in /etc/issue (at least
> it was on the two I tried).  We'll also want to see which relevant
> packages, for example "rpm -qa | grep tcl" or "dpkg -l | grep tcl"
>
> Having xconq build easily on a variety of systems is a Good Thing.
> The flip side is that hopefully the systems will provide working
> packages, so there is probably a limit to how much kludgery we want to
> put into the makefiles and configure scripts.  I don't yet know which
> of the two cases we are dealing with here.

It was a long time since I downloaded tcl and tk, but I think I got it from
somewhere near "http://www.scriptics.com/software/tcltk/";. I hope it is the
official distribution. The directories are called "tcl8.3.4" and "tk8.3.4".
The file "tcl8.3.4/unix/config.status" contains "./configure  --enable-gcc
--enable-symbols --enable-shared", which made me suspect that the "g" comes
from the "--enable-symbols".

So I guess if xconq wants to build easily on systems where tcl is built with
symbols, it has to look for the libraries with "g" appended to the name. I
never wrote any autoconf macros, so I don't know how much kludgery it would
take. Maybe try to link a small program to tcl8.3, and if that fails, try
8.3g, and if that fails, stop configure and complain loudly.