RE: Mutilple maps?

On Mon, 2002-06-17 at 17:01, Stanley Sutton wrote:
> But currently, it's still the same map, just displayed at different
> scales.  I was more interested in taking a single hex on the strategic
> scale, and creatubg a bew 80x40 hex grid with different time and
> movement rates, possibly even rates entirely.  For example, in a game
> like galaxy, the master map would have stars, the tactical map would
> have a planetary system.  It wouldn't be practical to model planetary
> systems at stellar scales, you'd need millions of hexes.  In a D&D type
> game, you might have an outdoor scale to get from one dungeon to
> another, in addition to having multiple levels within a dungeon.  A true
> 3 dimensional co-ordinate system would be nice for space based games, as
> well.

You know, I had been thinking that in "Space Civilization", it would be
nice if I could somehow set it up so that when any ground units land on
a planet, they could be controlled on a planetary (tactical) scale,
whereas the starships and everything else would be controlled on a
galactic (strategic) scale.  The game "Colonizer" was an attempt to
model what might happen when ground units land on a planet, and all the
variants further allow it to model the vast possibilities of such a
journey (e.g. "N-class world", "Already populated", etc.).  Of course,
it can't (yet) model what it would be like to land on an inhospitable
world such as Mars.

Neither of these games are in the Xconq library yet because I'm still
working on them.  However, if anyone wants to see what I'm talking
about, I can send the current version of each to the lest.