Re: More on advanced units

On Wed, 2002-06-05 at 15:39, Hans Ronne wrote:
> >First, it seems that if an advanced unit moves from one cell to another,
> >it covers both the old and the new cell, regardless of its size and
> >defined reach.  If it keeps moving, it covers every cell that it has
> >ever occupied (as long as those cells were not already in use by other
> >units).
>
> Advanced units were not designed to move around. So the unit move code does
> not know how to clear cell usage. I will look into this.

If anyone ever wanted to re-write "time.g" or "roman.g" to use advanced
units, this issue would come up again ("time.g" has flying cities,
"roman.g" has nomadic tribes).

> >Second, whenever an advanced (not necessarily acp-independent) unit
> >vanishes for any reason other than starvation (e.g. it's destroyed in
> >combat), Xconq segfaults.  That's probably what was going on when, in
> >"Space Civilization", I tried to allow each civilization to build the
> >next higher civilization (I used hp-to-garrison to make the old
> >civilization vanish when the new one completed).
>
> None of the current games have advanced units that can be destroyed (only
> captured). So this may well be a new bug. Possibly related to non-clearance
> of cell usage on unit death, followed by reference to a non-existent user
> (the dead unit). If you email me your game that segfaults I will look into
> this, too.

I set up the Space civilization game so that a civilization (which is an
advanced unit) can be destroyed if it is attacked heavily enough and not
captured.  I also set it up so that civilizations have more than 1 CP,
and so can take multiple turns to complete, during which time they only
have 1 HP and are easily destroyed.

I could also send you the game where I really noticed this happening.
It's essentially based on what it would be like if a team of futuristic
colonizers landed on an Earth-like planet.