Xconq now builds natively under Windows

I have just checked in the necessary patches to build the tcltk interface
natively under Windows. If you read my recent mail you know that with
Juergen Ruehle's recent WIN32 patches the SDL interface already builds
natively under Windows. This means that you no longer need cygwin or mingw
to build either Windows app.

There are two rather serious bugs in the tcltk interface for Windows.
First, it crashes when you quit. Second, advanced units starve to death at
the first turn, indicating that the cell use code does not work properly.
Nevertheless, I'm checking in the code now so that those who are interested
can make test builds and help to track down these and other bugs.

Here is what you need to build and run either interface natively under Windows:

Include either sdlwin32.c or tkwin32.c in your project, together with the
other sdl or tcltk files.

Include kernel32.lib, user32.lib and wsock32.lib from the Win32 SDK.

Include either SDL.lib and SDLmain.x86.LIB or tk83.lib and tcl83.lib. They
can be obtained from www.libsdl.org and www.activestate.com, respectively.
Use the latest versions, i.e. SDL-1.2.3 and TCL-8.3.4.2.

Include the necessary standard C and runtime libraries. This means
MSL_All_x86.lib in the case of Metrowerks Codewarrior for Windows.

Include Xconq.RC to get a Windows icon.

Make sure the corresponding DLL's are installed. If you are running the
tcltk app, you also need to have the tk8.3 and tcl8.3 folders installed
where they can be found. If nothing else works, stick them in the xconq/lib
folder. That works fine if you are building the app in the xconq/win folder.

Finally, make sure you compile with the "Enums always Ints" option on.

Hans

P.S. I've already got questions what Microsoft libraries to use instead of
MSL_All_x86.lib. Since I don't use them myself, I'm not sure. It seems that
msvcrt.lib and oldnames.lib contain most of what you need, but not
everything. Perhaps somebody who is using a Microsoft compiler can figure
out exactly what is needed and post the answer here?

P.P.S. If you are using Codewarrior for Windows, you also need to rename
all the bitmap files to foo.bm since CW is hardcoded not to open files with
a .b extension. Don't ask me why. This is for the Windows native CW only,
cross-compiling the Windows apps on the Mac works fine with the .b
extension.

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se