Re: printable online docs

On Fri, Apr 05, 2002 at 05:21:22PM +0200, Alan Schmitt wrote:
> Well, if tex may be an intermediate format, it is really easy to number
true, and there's even a tex implementation for the HP48S somewhere...
so that's a really cross platform system... :D i can only support that
:D

> the dvi and pdf. To create html from tex, hevea is a great choice (if
> you want a look at what can be done with hevea, you might be interested
> by http://caml.inria.fr/oreilly-book/, which is a translation of a book
> about ocaml ... the source of the book was in tex, and it got
> automatically translated to html).
hmm iuse latex2html, but there are plenty of systems out there... the
advantage of using lyx (e.g. as a wysiwyig editor) and docbook (XML)
  would be that its easy to convert docbook to latex....

> The only issue with tex is it's not wysiwyg. But since tex files are
> simply text files, any text editor works well.
hmm wasn't lyx making some effort there?
and AFAIK scientific workplace (a M$-word for scientific people) under
windows uses latex as file format...

> > That's why I figured Word was a good format - StarOffice can read it too, so
> > one covers
> > just about all the OSes.
just a hint: i have an old laptop with 4G disk and 1M Graphic memory, i
tryed to install staroffice, but threw it out before the 5 min were
passed before it could present me with a white sheet of paper....

and on my main system the staroffice script crashes beeing unable to
install it...
so at least me am unable to get a usable staroffice setup.....

> My problem with .doc is that it seems to be lacking structure compared
> to tex, and there is also the issue of all the different .doc format out
> there. I don't know which word is supported on mac os 9, or on mac os
> X, for instance.
and my problem is that the only way to get a view on it for me is to use
wv (wordview) and thus convert it to real crappy HTML lacking even more
formating, since it roughly transforms it into plain text with some rare
formating elements....

--
ciao bboett
bboett@adlp.org <- UPDATE your address books please!!! CHANGE!