Re: Fixed: remaining problems in the xconq network code

>> 1. Fix the -join/-host command line code.
>
>Short answer: I need feedback from people who want to use -join and
>-host: how should it work?  Details follow.

I think a reasonable first step would be to fix the -join/-host code so
that it works the same way it once did. I never used the tcltk command line
back then, so I am at loss as to how it was supposed to work, or even if it
did work at any stage. Does anybody know this for sure?

In any case, getting this code to work is perhaps not essential for the
7.4.2 release. As you noted, there are some similarities to the
save/restore problem. Perhaps it is best to deal with both these problems
later, at the same time.

The main advantage of a working -join/-host code would be the possibility
of setting up an automatic game connection server, as Jan suggested some
time ago. However, perhaps a less sophisticated approach, where people who
want to start a game can post their host ip and proposed time of game
launch to a simple web-based discussion forum, could do for now. Is there
anybody with experience in this field who would like to give it a try?

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se