Re: Various problem with xconq

>Hello,
>I just downloaded the 7.4.1 tarball, and I'm trying to compile it. Sadly, I
>run in a lot of problems. And I also found problem reported in the Debian
>bug tracking system I want to tell you.

Nice to see that somebody still cares about xconq. This list has been
almost dead for the last few months.

>I can't manage to build the documentation in ps format.
>Ohhh, well. What am I supposed to do now ?

You can always use the html version of the manual which is enclosed with
the Mac binaries. This texinfo stuff can really give you gray hairs.

>Beside of that, I noticed a whole bench of gcc warning like
>oplayer.c:1129: warning: chance1' might be used uninitialized in this
>function
>don't you get afraid that the code may be wrong in these places ?

I checked the code and the warning is correct, i.e. chance1 is not
initialized in some cases. Not sure if it ever happens, but the possibility
exists. Never saw this warning in CodeWarrior, so it must be more tolerant
than gcc. If you mail me the other warnings you got, I can look into it.

>I also noticed that the config.guess is of version "2000-05-30" and
>config.sub of version "2000-06-10". That's kinda problematic for new
>architectures (see http://bugs.debian.org/78672 for more details)

The configuration files for various unix architectures is something I never
messed with. I have just been happy if xconq compiles under LinuxPPC, which
it does. Stan used to handle this stuff, but he has not been active for
almost a year. It would be great if somebody who is familiar with different
unix architectures could take a look at this, if it is a problem.

>I also found this patch in the Debian bug tracking system:
>http://bugs.debian.org/107313
>The author claims that without that, the patch is necessary to compile on
>the GNU/Hurd architecture, but I've no way to figure out if that's true.

Same answer here.

>Please also note that the page
>http://sources.redhat.com/xconq/lists.html
>is wrong. It points to xconq7@sourceware.cygnus.com where it should be
>xconq7@sources.redhat.com

This is something that only Stan can fix. It's his web site.

>Last point, there is a major security issue in the parameter handeling. That
>was reported on bugtraq more than one year ago, and a patch were contributed
>a short while ago. See
>http://bugs.debian.org/80576
>for more details.

This patch seems straightforward. I will see to it that it goes into the
CVS sources.

>I really like this program, and I hope you will concider all the issues I
>raised in this mail.

Thanks for your comments. I will fix those problems that I can handle.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se