Re: Are cylindrical worlds not fully supported?

>Hello,
>
>Please forgive an old ML lurker returning to the list
>only to ask a question that has probably been answered.
>Unfortunately, I have been unable to find that answer
>in the ML archives.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
>My question is, basically, Are cylindrical worlds fully
>supported or not?

They are in the kernel. As you noted you can still execute commands even if
a unit disappears from view. The problems you noted are with the tcltk
interface, which still has some bugs in it. The corresponding Mac code
behaves OK. With a big enough gworld you can even scroll around the globe
as many turns as you wish, since the Mac xconq gworlds also are cylindrical.

As to fixing these and other tcltk display problems, I'm not sure it will
ever be done. It would mean a lot of work, which I think is better spent on
the new SDL interface. I suggest you check out the latter if you haven't
done that yet. It runs under Unix and MacOS right now, but a Windows
version should not be too hard to make. A compiled Mac version is included
in the xconq snapshot I mentioned earlier:

http://w1.694.telia.com/~u69400018/xconq-010715.sit.bin

The Unix version is easy to build from the CVS sources if you have SDL
installed.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se