Some Qs

> Is xconq intended mainly as an empire-type, or a scenario based
> game?

Xconq7 is quite flexible (try the Lord of the Rings or Monster or
Beirut games for something different), so it certainly can do a
variety of empire type games.  It probably can do "scenario based"
games as well but since I'm not sure I've played any games which call
themselves that, I probably should keep my mouth shut.

> The Old Empire module seemed very similar to the version that I have
> played, except that it did not have Patrol Boats. Is there a module
> that gives this unit as well?

Sounds like the voice of a volunteer :-).  Adding Patrol Boats to an
existing game is pretty easy (you just need to edit the .g file, no
programming needed), as long as you remember (or can find out) how
many hit points they are supposed to have and that kind of thing.

> Is it possible to give units a strategy to follow (ie attack, explore
> etc) until they are needed for something specific?

Yes, there is a menu item ("More/Plan Type" in the tcltk interface).
This should probably be considered experimental, although I stopped
using it not because of bugs but because I didn't like the algorithms
well enough.  There are also standing orders, which look like: "if
armor in Paris move-to Antwerp" (see manual for details).