Converting xconq to C++

One of the perils of being a newbie is you are not sure what issues have
been flogged to death already and what causes flame wars. Anyway here goes.

I'm looking to contribute to xcnq by enhancing the unit movement code, it
seems that the program is now sufficiently large and complex that
'objectification' might help readability and maintainability. Translating it
to C++ and then enhancing the object model would help greatly in my view
(actually I'd prefer Java but that's too big a step). I'm sure most people
already have/use gcc. The code is very well written so the translation would
not be too arduous, e.g. a 'unit' could become a C++ object fairly simply.

This is a major undertaking and needs to occur with a stable codebase. Does
this seem like a good idea (set aside whether it is doable), would it be
possible to do incrementally?

BTW, is a next release planned any time soon?

Ed