Re: The SDL interface

>> One suggestion for a gui interface would be the library SDL_gui which seem
>> to be quite standard among SDL installations. (It's not an official SDL
>> library I think... correct?). The only disadvantage with this as I see it
>> would be that we have to do parts of the SDL interface in C++ and rely on
>> yet another library... but thats not to serious? (I dislike writing parts
>> of the SDL interface in C++ for the obvious reason - everything else is
>> pure C).
>
>Being in C++ is not a fatal flaw.  My download of it didn't actually
>work, but I see that I have 0.9.10, and there are newer versions,
>so it's worth another look.

I just took a look at the screenshots there, and it looks quite
good. I'm not too much into C++ though ...

>With the exception of using ttf (which seems like overkill), this
>particular library seems like it might be at the right level of
>complexity, and is worth experimenting with.  Beware of limitations
>though; it might be easier just to steal ideas and design, rather
>than try to work around missing features.

Some other nice library to steal ideas is sge (
http://www.etek.chalmers.se/~e8cal1/sge/ ). It seems to be maintained,
and they have nice useful code, such as bresenheim for instance (I
never understood why it isn't in SDL to start with ...).

There is also powerpak (
http://www.imperialpenguin.com/software/powerpak/ ). I haven't looked
at it much, and it does not seem to be maintained anymore, though.

While we're talking web resources, even if it's more general, there is
a nice website called the linux game documentation center. Many
interesting links there.
http://sunsite.dk/lgdc/

Alan Schmitt

--
The hacker: someone who figured things out and made something cool happen.