Re: proximity of sides in big maps (std game)

Andrew Cooksy wrote:

> Hi, and hope this isn't a faq.  I've been playing the standard game
> and like the exploration end a lot, so have been using big maps.
> The distribution of sides in the big maps doesn't seem to be entirely
> random, however; the enemy and I are always within 40 cells or so of
> each other, even if the maps are 300x300.  So I run into them sooner
> than I'd like.  Is there a way to change this easily with the menu or
> by editing the code?  Is this an intended feature?  Many thanks.

Yeah, look for country-separation-min and country-separation-max
in lib/stdunit.g.  In the standard game, they're set to 16 and 48,
so your guess was pretty good!  The defaults are just to keep games
to a somewhat shorter length and to decouple from map size a bit.
Large separations will greatly increase your logistics problems,
although there are more independent towns scattered about than
there used to be, which gives you some intermediate bases of
operation to use.