Re: Game module versioning

>A while back, I mentioned the possibility of doing something to
>better distinguish "finished" from "unfinished" library games.
>The problem is that as the system evolves, there will always be
>games in progress as well, but still, players want to know which
>ones are ready to play.
>
>My proposal is to add version numbers to library modules, and
>then add a "Show All Games" checkbox to new game dialogs.  The
>box defaults to off, in which case only games at version "1.0"
>and above will be displayed.  Otherwise, all games listed in
>game.dir will appear.  In addition, the version number should
>be prominently displayed in the dialog.
>
>To simplify logic, I would propose to not to try to get
>clever about rulesets that are "0.5" that have "1.0" scenarios,
>and put the burden on game designers to not label scenarios
>as finished if any of the base modules are unfinished.

Making all games accessible by checking a box in the New Game dialog is
definitely a good idea. It would make things much easier for those who want
to test unfinished stuff.

Not sure about version numbers, though. You may also want to remove a
finished game from the list if it is too similar to a new one, or obsoleted
in some other way. What do you do then, downgrade the version number? And
then there is the point you already made about base modules. Things might
get confusing after a while.

Have you considered having two lists in game.dir (or perhaps two separate
dir files), one with games that are listed by default, and one with the
rest? Then you could just move games between the two lists, depending on
whether you want them to be listed or not. No version numbers to worry
about.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se