Re: Freeciv vs. Xconq

Erik Sigra wrote:

> Stan Shebs wrote:
> > ???  The standard game's infantry and armor are mostly shades of
> > green
>
> Yea. Another guy told me this earlier today. Then I started a game, and
> when I increased the brilliance of my monitor, I discovered that thoose
> two units actually are green rather than black.

A side-effect of different screen gammas or something - images tend
to be too dark on Linux or too light on Macs.  Also delicate in the
case of ground units; they should be green because of their usual
camo, but you don't actually want them to blend into the terrain
*too* well!  I could probably brighten the interiors, leave the
edges darker to keep them visible.

> I don't know for how long you have been following Freeciv, but a while
> ago Tim Smith released a great set of Civ2 graphics under the GPL to
> make them availible to Freeciv. See
> <http://www.freeciv.org/news/y2000/news_2000.phtml>. The link to the
> zipfile may be broken by now, but I have the files here if anyone wants
> to see them. (Hint: The content of cities.gif impressed *me* a lot.)

They are pretty good-looking, I have a copy here.  The sizes don't
fit well with Xconq's usual cell sizes, and they have a lot of
high-frequency patterning, so scaling will be hard to get right,
but I was planning to experiment with them anyway.