Re: my two cents on networked games

Jim Kingdon wrote:

> > Umm, the People menu item is a local display control - how is this
> > relevant to networking?
>
> Odd, I thought I remembered this being a problem when you and I were
> playing a month or two ago (you were wondering why I'd use "People"
> because it "only" controls initial town generation; and I said
> "exactly, I'm looking for information on where the enemy towns might
> be").  But I just tried doing a networked game and couldn't reproduce
> it.  Perhaps I'm remembering wrong?  Or it was a coincidence?

You must be thinking of the variant.  It's now been stubbed out
(one of the "Unused" checkboxes in the dialog), but Hans swears he's
going to make it do cool stuff soon! :-)

> > only works on LANs, is not cross-platform, can't use DRI or any of the
> > local speedup hacks, is not robust when someone wants to leave a game,
> > etc.
>
> Shrug.  Not completely sure whether I agree or not, but you are likely
> to have a lot more time to work on it than I, so I can't really
> complain.  Let me know if I can help with debugging...

If fully functional multi-display code for the tcl/tk interface
were to show up in my mbox one day, I'd go ahead and put it in;
it doesn't interfer with networking code, and doesn't make the
interface that much harder to work on.  But I would rather spend
my own time on the networking code.