Re: Defaults problem

Bob Carragher wrote:

>      1.  Is it possible to specify a "save" file other
>          than save.xcq?

Uh, yeah.  You get a dialog with ~/.xconq as the selected
directory and "save.xcq" as the file name to use, but it's
a standard file dialog and you can change everything as
you like.  (I take it you haven't tried saving a game using
the new interface yet?)

>          One could imagine a command-line
>          option like "-S" which loads up a saved game and
>          bypasses the first couple of dialog boxes (i.e.
>          the "new" vs "saved" game dialog box, and the
>          dialog box which does a file search).  So, you
>          might invoke xconq as
>
>               xconq -S ./my_saved_game.xconq

I'm inclined to think that someone who's savvy enough to
use Xconq from the command line won't have any trouble with
the -f option, but you're right that restoring a saved game
should whiz through setup dialogs (it might be useful to
click through some, just as a refresher on the variants and
players in the game).

>      2.  Could extra resources be added to the game?  I'm
>          thinking of maybe "xconq*savedGameName" and perhaps
>          "xconq*savedGameDirList."  The former is self-
>          explanatory; the latter might be a colon-separated
>          list of directories to search for "savedGameName,"
>          and might be ".:~/xconq" by default.  (Of course,
>          then you might need "xconq*loadGameDefaultDir" or
>          somesuch for the dialog box that performs file
>          searching ....)

Resources aren't cross-platform, but there is a preferences
mechanism that would work well for this.  The more I think
about it, the less I favor multiple search locations for
saved games; just seems like extra complexity with little
value (admittedly, that hasn't been an impediment to Xconq
hacks in the past... :-) )