Re: Examine other player units at end of game

>> Your patch certainly works, but it has some unexpected consequences. If you
>> choose the "See All" option side_sees_unit is set for all units, which
>> means that you can now select (and therefore also give commands to) enemy
>> units as well.
>
>OK, so does that mean that do_move_to in tcltk/tkcmd.c and friends all
>need calls to side_controls_unit?  Or is there some cleaner place to
>put this (preferably in the kernel code rather than the frontend code
>but I didn't dig far enough to see where it might go)?

That's sort of what I did on the mac. I had to hack three functions in
order to disable all commands to selected enemy units:
do_mouse_down_map_content, apply_to_all_selected, and
query_position_modally. The tricky part is what happens when you select
both friendly and enemy units, and then apply a menu or command line
command.

It could be that things are easier in the tcl/tk interface, though. Maybe
hacking a single function could do the trick. Let's ask Stan when he is
back. It's his code.

>I guess I don't see the need for a red selection box - having it also
>be black would work for me.  Not that I'd scream hard about red.  It
>just seems like one of those user interface features which is pretty
>confusing until you figure out what it means.

I tried black enemy boxes first, but that if anything was confusing,
particularly when you select both enemy and friendly units at the same
time.

If you want to see an alternative to the boxes you should check out the mac
code that I just committed. It has the option (under menu control) of using
selection masks instead of boxes, and also a blinking current unit instead
of the selection animation. This is a preparation for using bigger
civ2-type unit images, which do not work well with the boxes. I have code
that uses such images up and running, and it looks great.

Hans

Hans Ronne

hronne@pp.sbbs.se