Re: What to do with Xconq

Hi Stan,

<< I think you're seeing attempts to "do what computers do best" and to make
 bigger investments in the hopes of bigger payoffs.  But they don't call
 economics the dismal science for nothing - when reality sets in, they cut
 the developers off and say "OK, you're done now, we need to ship in time
 for Christmas".  So you have these mixes of ambition and limitation.

Yep, I think you are right.

 <You're thinking of the Gazala module?  I'd like to know more about graphics
 problems with it, I thought it was OK in that respect...>

Maybe? I will have to install xconq again when I get time to check it out
again, after a recent Windows cleansing reload. I have a 32 meg AGP
All-in-Wonder and running in 32 bit mode. And, many of the fonts and a
few other things were overlapping each other in that one.

 <While Xconq has lots of knobs and switches, it certainly doesn't have
 all that you like to have.  Right now units and sides are still too
 cookie-cutter; there are only a few properties that are individually
 settable.  Nobody has added more because the demand hasn't been there;
 but if you say "I need X feature to make my game design work", that
 will give it implementation priority.>

Sounds good.

 <I'd also like to see a WW1 strategic game, and a division-level Eastern
Front
 game, but since there are so many unfinished game designs in the library, I'm
 holding off on adding completely new sets of rules right now.>>

Both of those sound great, and for me doable. As I said, as soon as I
complete work on a couple of scenarios. I will definitely take another look
at xconq.

Regards,

Greg Allen