Progress

I've sent mail off to the fltk list asking for input, and I've checked
out the current versions of gtk and freeciv (which is the game most
like Xconq that has a gtk frontend).

In actual hacking news, I've bolted in a GIF reader stolen from
netpbm, added new imf machinery to collect 64 color connection images
directly from a big GIF, and got the tcl/tk interface to draw them.
Much better-looking than patterns in a b/w mask!  This is not checked
in yet though, this is a very hacky proof of concept and needs cleanup.