Re: internationalization

   Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 19:25:42 +0200 (MET DST)
   From: Bruno Boettcher <bboett@yoda.u-strasbg.fr>

   On the web site should be a sort of FAQ, for example could somebody remind me
   why it would be so difficult to change actual xconq design into client-server
   paradigm? It would be so nice (at least for me:) to be able to play using the
   net without beeing restricted to LAN and empty laboratory... or to be able to
   make plays with 10 or more human players :)

The hacking chapter of the manual says something about that.  However,
true network play *is* supported in 7.2 - that's what the -host and
-join command options are for, and the "Connect" button on the Mac
splash screen.  All the programs run in tandem, with one of them
acting as a master for the sake of coordination, so that only human/AI
orders have to be passed around.

There are bugs in 7.2's network play - I've fixed three already,
and am hunting another.  The good news is that this last bug only
occurs when two AIs are playing each other, and are thus sending
packets back and forth furiously.  (What happens is that the two
programs' states eventually get slightly out of sync, which is
bad if you're trying to run in tandem.)